Tuesday, October 29, 2013

COLUMBUS MARATHON 2013: IF RUNNING LONGER, MAKE IT A GREAT SOUNDTRACK

My 2013 Columbus Marathon time wasn't as fast
as hoped, but my soundtrack never let me down.
The crowd, staff and volunteers didn't either.
I made it to Boston after hitting Mile 18, just beyond the trip around and through Ohio Stadium.

More correctly, Mile 18 made 765 miles of running - the distance from Columbus to Boston - since this marathon training journey began on April 4.

This was my 14th marathon overall and my "Lucky 13" for Columbus, which sometimes it was and sometimes not so much.

Running a marathon is almost always a satisfying pursuit. Some days you race the course; some days you just finish it.

This Columbus Marathon was the latter. But, my music never let me down and neither did the crowds, staff or the volunteers.

The streets of Columbus were filled with more well-wishers than I've ever seen and most of the route was packed, save for a few remote areas around the Ohio State campus. My favorite signs were "Smile If You Peed A Little" and "You're Running Better Than The Government."

The Nationwide Children's Hospital Miracle Mile Patients who appeared on the course in person and on posters were an inspiration throughout, especially during the tough stretches. This year's marathon raised more than $1.25 million for the hospital.


Every marathon is a celebration day, especially if
the soundtrack includes this live version of
 Led Zeppelin's Since I've Been Loving You.
 
The Columbus Marathon volunteers manned the fluid and nutrition stops to near perfection, which isn't an easy feat, and never more appreciated than after being in a race when they aren't.

My luck went "13" early when I stepped on a stray safety cone that drifted into Broad Street a little more than a mile into the race. I didn't go down, but immediately felt the familiar pain of an ankle sprain and saw 747 miles of training flash before my eyes in an instant.

I kept moving and logged my fastest miles through the first half of the race wondering if the discomfort would get worse. The pain never did, but my ankle was predictably swollen afterwards.

By mile 14, I realized my goal of breaking into the 3:40's in Columbus probably wasn't going to happen this year, but collecting another sub-4:00 finish was still well within in reach.

Around Mile 19, when the 4:00 pace group blasted by, those aspirations adjusted also to "enjoy the day, enjoy the crowd and enjoy the music." I consoled myself that the extra minutes meant more songs I would have missed on an otherwise glorious day.

The other "13" luck came as the miles progressed and the readings on my Nike+ watch grew less and less in sync with the official course miles. You can only laugh when you're late-marathon achy, the watch says you just made it through another mile and the corresponding course marker is nowhere in sight.

When the finish came into sight, Lucinda Williams' Changed The Locks played on my iPod. This year might have kept the locks on a "3:4Anything" but I'll be back. I just need to speed up the tracks underneath my training.

Song For The Soundtrack:
A Song For Leonard Cohen

My 2013 Columbus Marathon Race Day Soundtrack Pulled from the Pool by the iPod Shuffle


*The "most magical marathon" songs are marked in bold.

Aaron Neville, Ruby Baby
Amanda Shires, A Song For Leonard Cohen
Ashley Monroe, Weed Instead Of Roses
Boston, More Than A Feeling
Bruce Springsteen, The Rising
Court Yard Hounds, Then Again
Court Yard Hounds, The Road You Take
The Cramps, Sheena's In A Goth Gang
David Bowie, (You Will) Set The World On Fire
Dead Shembechlers, Bomb Ann Arbor Now
Song For The Soundtrack:
Rocket Queen
Don Henley, Heart Of The Matter
Drive-By Truckers, Marry Me
Drive-By Truckers, Let There Be Rock
Dusty Springfield, Just A Little Lovin'
The Fleshtones, Ghoulman Confidential
Fleetwood Mac, Gold Dust Woman
Guns N' Roses, Rocket Queen
Iggy & The Stooges, Beat That Guy
Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit, Outfit
Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit, Soldiers Get Strange
Jeff Bridges, Maybe I Missed The Point
Jerry Lee Lewis, Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On
Joan Jett, Do You Wanna Touch Me? (Oh Yeah!)
John Fogerty, Lookin' Out My Back Door
Kasey Chambers, We're All Gonna Die Someday
Keith Richards & The X-Pensive Winos, Gimme Shelter
Song For The Soundtrack:
The Weight
Kris Kristofferson, Ramblin' Jack
Led Zeppelin, Since I've Been Loving You (Live)
Leonard Cohen, Darkness
Linda Ronstadt, I Ain't Always Been Faithful
Linda Ronstadt, Silver Threads And Golden Needles
Liz Phair, Never Said
Love For Levon All-Star Band, The Weight
Lucinda Williams, Changed The Locks
Mojo Nixon, You Can't Kill Me
Motorhead, Ace Of Spaces
Motorhead, Born To Raise Hell
Motorhead, Metropolis
Neil Young And Crazy Horse, Tom Dula
Old 97's, 19 (Live)
Public Enemy, He Got Game
Song For The Soundtrack:
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Ramones, Sheena Is A Punk Rocker
The Replacements, Customer
The Replacements, Give Me Noise
Rolling Stones, Dancing In The Light
Rolling Stones, Happy
Rolling Stones, Jumpin' Jack Flash
Ryan Bingham, Guess Who's Knockin'
Shelby Lynne, Breakfast In Bed
Sheryl Crow, We Oughta Be Drinkin'
Shooter Jennings, Manifesto No.1
Social Distortion, California (Hustle And Flow)
Steve Earle, Amerika V. 6.0 (The Best We Can Do)
Th' Flyin' Saucers, She's Evil
The Stooges, Free & Freaky
Song For The Soundtrack:
Guess Who's Knocking
Talking Heads, Crosseyed And Painless
Ted Nugent, Stranglehold
Thee Invaders, I Wanna Eat Your Brain
Uncle Tupelo, Whiskey Bottle
Warren Zevon, The Hula Hula Boys
White Stripes, Jolene (Live)
Wilco, Box Full Of Letters
Willie Nelson & Family, Matchbox
Willie Nelson, The Harder They Come
X-Rated Cowboys, $100 Guitar
X-Rated Cowboys, End Of The World



The Miles According to the Official Columbus Marathon Timing

10K: 54:22
13.1 Miles: 1:56:03
28K: 2:36:09
20 Miles: 3:06:54
26.2 Miles: 4:17:59
Average Pace Per Mile: 9:51


The Miles According to My Nike+ Watch

Total Time: 4:18:00
Total Distance: 26.48 Miles
Average Pace Per Mile: 9:44 

Mile 1: 8:53
Mile 2: 8:33
Mile 3: 8:43
Mile 4: 8:36
Mile 5: 8:44
Mile 6: 8:37
Mile 7: 9:07
Mile 8: 8:45
Mile 9: 8:39
Mile 10: 8:51
Mile 11: 8:57
Mile 12: 8:50
Mile 13: 8:55
Mile 14: 9:01
Mile 15: 9:12
Mile 16: 9:39
Mile 17: 9:56
Mile 18: 10:36
Mile 19: 10:28
Mile 20: 11:24
Mile 21: 11:21
Mile 22: 11:04
Mile 23: 11:09
Mile 24: 11:44
Mile 25: 11:46
Mile 26: 11:37
"Mile 26.48": 4:42


No comments:

Post a Comment