Take the left turn and 13.1 miles are almost in the books. Go straight and 13+ remain ahead in the distance.
At this year's Nationwide Children's Hospital Columbus Marathon, 11,000 took the turn, while 7,000 others ventured forward on a day marked by nearly perfect weather and a slightly updated course - altered to show off the progress on the title sponsor's campus.
This was the first time in 14 starts, that I was among the majority in the half marathon.
A slight hamstring pull at a mid-July Marathoners In Training speedwork session - highlighted with an appearance by Olympic medalist, New York Marathon and Boston Marathon champion Meb Keflezighi - slowed what had otherwise been full speed ahead training inertia on my part to that point.
Motivation and mileage fell off soon after. No long run went much past eight miles. I went nine runs for August, eight for September and five for October prior to the race.
Age hasn't always made me smarter, but this time I made the more prudent decision to register for 13.1 instead of 26.2.The lesson of going slower isn't necessarily easier wasn't lost this time; there is no cheating the long runs when it comes to the marathon trek.
As I hit the 6-mile mark Sunday, I laughed at myself and the happy realization that there were only seven miles to go, not 20.
After leaving German Village and the Ohio Statehouse behind on High Street, this year's left turn beckoned. I bid my marathon compatriots a "rock on" and, in another first, finished with the top two marathoners running down the same stretch of glory road.
Van Halen's Drop Dead Legs preceded homeboy Happy Chichester's Glamorous Town with the finish approaching.
Happy's right. We do live in a glamorous town. And, on Sunday, October 18, 2015, I plan to see 13.1 miles more of it.
The Race Day Soundtrack
|Race Day Songs:|
Doreen & 4 Leaf Clover
2. Sheena Is A Punk Rocker from Ramones All The Stuff (And More!) Volume 1
3. The Anthem from The Honeys Shoot From The Hip
4. Artificial Fanfare from Happy Chichester Lovers Come Back
5. Problem Child from AC/DC If You Want Blood
6. Rocky Mountain from Joe Walsh Look What I Did! Disc I
7. No Surrender from Bruce Springsteen Born In The U.S.A.
8. Talking Bear Mountain Picnic from Bob Dylan Carnegie Chapter Hall 1961
9. Going Home from Rolling Stones Aftermath
10. Doreen from Old 97's Alive & Wired Disc I
|Race Day Songs:|
Rocky Mountain Way & Life's Been Good
11. 3 Shades Of Black from Hank III Damn Right, Rebel Proud
12. I'm A Slut from Howlin' Maggie Honeysuckle Rose
13. Old Weakness (Coming On Strong) from Wanda Jackson Unfinished Business
14. Dark Sunglasses from Chrissie Hynde Stockholm
15. Cowboy Song from Thin Lizzy The Definitive Collection
16. Life's Been Good from Joe Walsh Look What I Did! Disc II
17. Nineteen from Old 97's Fight Songs
18. A Fool For Your Stockings from ZZ Top Deguello
19. (I Live For) Cars And Girls from The Dictators Blank Generation The New York Scene (1975-78)
20. Hellbilly from Hank III Hillbilly Joker
21. Bank Of Bad Habits from Jimmy Buffet Barometer Soup
22. I Don't Want To Grow Up from Ramones Adios Amigos
23. 4 Leaf Clover from Old 97's Alive & Wired Disc II
24. Dude? from Happy Chichester Live At The Aladdin Theater
25. San Francisco from Me First And The Gimme Gimmes Blow In The Wind
26. New Tattoo from Dave Alvin Romeo's Escape
27. Tombstone Blues from Bob Dylan Highway 61
28. Drop Dead Legs from Van Halen 1984
29. Glamorous Town from Happy Chichester Torchwood Loop
30. Everybody Wants Some!! from Van Halen Women And Children First
2014 Columbus Marathon (1/2 Marathon) Statistics
(Sunday, October 19, 2014)Finish Time: 2:13:13
Final Pace: 10:11 Per Mile
Overall Finish: 5066/10411
Men's Group: 2315/3581
50-54 Men's Age Group: 171/280
Watch Splits Mile 1: 9:37
Watch Splits Mile 2: 10:22
Watch Splits Mile 3: 9:36
Watch Splits Mile 4: 10:02
Watch Splits Mile 5: 10:07
Watch Splits Mile 6: 9:38
Watch Splits Mile 7: 10:23
Watch Splits Mile 8: 10:27
Watch Splits Mile 9: 10:15
Watch Splits Mile 10: 10:07
Watch Splits Mile 11: 10:28
Watch Splits Mile 12: 10:07
Watch Splits Mile 13: 9:47
Watch Splits Mile 13.1 (.22): 2:09