Sunday, August 11, 2013

AUGUST 11 COLUMBUS HALF MARATHON: SOME DAYS I RUN AS FAST AS I CAN AND IT'S NOT AS FAST AS I HOPED IT WOULD BE


Some days "as fast as I can" isn't "as fast as I hoped it would be."

Today, I tried to run by feel on a hot day, after not "racing long" in some time.

I ran too fast at an "I hope" pace early, probably ran the right times through the middle miles, then wilted in the heat late and needed walk breaks during the last 5K.

My goal was for 1:49:"anything" and I finished in 1:58:58 for a 9:03 per mile pace.

That's why we run "practice" races.

Fortunately, the soundtrack - with 46 songs currently in the rotation - rocked better than I did throughout all 13.1 miles.

(For this year's Columbus Marathon, my soundtrack rule is that one song is selected from each record played during my training runs and the playlist is put on random during the pre-marathon races and ultimately the marathon.)

As the day would have it, Jackson Browne's Running On Empty didn't play until the ride home and I was looking for a gas station with my Kia "Soul Train" riding at the edge of its fuel window.

Mine was well expired, even with finish line food and drink.

Only the records that have been reviewed or revisited on 765at33RPM so far are included. (I've been a much more of daily runner than blogger, so there are scads of records on the training turntable waiting their turn in cyberspace.)

Here's today's playlist with the best "pick me ups" noted in bold.

Song 1: Voice Inside My Head by the Dixie Chicks from Taking The Long Way
Song 2: 21st Century Blues by Steve Earle & The Dukes (& Duchesses) from The Low Highway
Song 3: Free & Freaky by The Stooges from The Weirdness
Song 4: Problem Child by AC/DC from Let There Be Rock
Song 5: Gold Dust Woman by Fleetwood Mac from The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac
Song 6: Soldiers Get Strange by Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit from Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit
Song 7: Matchbox by Willie Nelson & Family from Let's Face The Music And Dance
Song 8: G.T.O. by The Favors from The Favors
Song 9: Gimme Shelter (Live) by Keith Richards & The X-Pensive Winos from Eileen
Song 10: Carl Perkins' Cadillac by Drive By Truckers from The Dirty South
Song 11: (You Will) Set The World On Fire by David Bowie from The Next Day
Song 12: Weed Instead Of Roses by Ashley Monroe from Like A Rose
Song 13: Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On by Jerry Lee Lewis from Live At Third Man Records
Song 14: Ruby Baby by Aaron Neville from My True Story
Song 15: Bad As Me by Tom Jones from Spirit In The Room
Song 16: Ball & Chain by Social Distortion from Live At The Roxy
Song 17: The Harder They Come by Willie Nelson from Countryman 
Song 18: Ice Cream Man by Van Halen from Van Halen
Song 19: Crush On You by Bruce Springsteen from The River
Song 20: Every Time He Drinks He Thinks Of Her by Willie Nelson from Heroes
Song 21: Darkness by Leonard Cohen from Old Ideas
Song 22: Lighters Up by Snoop Dog from Reincarnated
Song 23: Comfortable by Ian Hunter & The Rant Band from When I'm President
Song 24: The Rising by Bruce Springsteen from The Rising
Song 25: Guess Who's Knocking by Ryan Bingham from Tomorrowland
Song 26: Analog Man by Joe Walsh from Analog Man
Song 27: I Feel A Sin Comin' On by the Pistol Annies from Annie Up
Song 28: I Am A Wanderer by Steve Earle I'll Never Get Out Of This World Alive
Song 29: Takin' Pills by Pistol Annies from Hell On Heels
Song 30: Silver Bell by Natalie Maines from Mother
Song 31: Then Again by Courtyard Hounds from Courtyard Hounds

Here's my mile-by-mile timing breakdown for today's Columbus Half Marathon:
Mile 1: 8:23
Mile 2: 8:39
Mile 3: 8:51
Mile 4: 8:43
Mile 5: 8:56
Mile 6: 8:50
Mile 7: 9:05
Mile 8: 8:53
Mile 9: 9:05
Mile 10: 9:12
Mile 11: 9:42
Mile 12: 9:45
Mile 13: 9:44
Mile 13.1: 0:54

Race Tip from Today's First Hand Lesson: If you are using a new watch, make sure you understand how its functionality performs on race day, especially for what you want from mile-to-mile data which is different for me during races than training runs.

My Nike+ GPS Watch is my favorite running gadget of all time, bar none.

I've been training with it for several months, but, today was only my second race with it and the mile marker distances were slightly off from the watch GPS. So,when I looked for mile splits based on the course markers, my watch already had moved to the next mile and I didn't know what my last mile time was.

Since I need reading glasses, it was difficult to adapt on the fly for the "smaller/secondary number" readings. My "large/primary number" is set on mile/lap times, always very readable and not a problem.

Before my next race, I plan to go through the various functions on training runs to get the comparison numbers that make me most comfortable for the Columbus Marathon on Sunday, October 20.

No comments:

Post a Comment